Gluten Free Hawaii:
Hello There! It has been a while since I have blogged. We went to Hawaii for fall break and I did not take a computer with me 🙂 We enjoyed some family time as well as experienced some things that were challenging and ah-mazing!
I found a lot of places to eat Gluten Free in Hawaii! We stayed in Kauai for the first week. We planted ourselves on the north shore area of Princeville. It has beautiful beaches and is a great area to relax! Here are some of the places I ate successfully without getting “glutened”. We had a kitchen at our hotel and did most breakfast and lunches there:)
1. Foodland Princeville- They had a good selection of gluten free items. They also had fresh Ahi Poke that they made in store that was delicious! I found that the Poke at most places was gluten free so ended up eating a lot of Poke!
2. The Dolphin– This is a cute restaurant in Hanalei. It sits on a river so you can watch people kayak or paddle board as you eat. They didn’t have a dedicated gluten free menu but did have quite a few choices of fresh fish. I had the Thai Poke 🙂 Spicy but yummy! My Mother In Law who is also gluten free had sushi 🙂
3. Kickshaws Food Truck– This food truck is not your average food truck! It is gourmet! Our party sampled almost one of everything that they had on the menu! This truck is family owned and the wife doesn’t eat gluten! That always makes me feel better when I know that the person cooking understands what it is like to get “glutened”. This was one of my favorite meals in Kauai!!
4. Smith’s Family Luau– The Smith Family has this down to a science! Their customer service was super! I was given a list of all buffet items that were gluten free. The head of the family walked our party through the buffet line and showed us what was safe and what wasn’t incase we had any questions. When we sat down from the buffet a large plate full of grilled fish, chicken and steamed rice were delivered. It was a lot of food! Great experience!!
After our time in Kauai we went to Honolulu for a few days. We wanted to do a brief stay there and experience all the island had to offer! We chose the circle island tour with Pearl Harbor. It was a full day but we got to see a lot of things! Here are some places we ate in Honolulu! 🙂
1. Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville– I didn’t expect such an extensive gluten free menu here but they had one! Even the chicken wings and french fries were gluten free! I was impressed at the happy hour findings that I could eat!
2. Hula Grill- They had a gluten free menu and the food was delicious! The server told me that they have a dedicated area for food allergies and they are super careful to not cross contaminate! That made me feel better! Her Grandma has Celiac and she understood the implications which was reassuring!
I also picked up food from the corner grocery stores and carried it with us. We found it really hard to find food at the airport! None of the restaurants offered anything gluten free and if you asked about a food allergy they told us that the only thing safe was water. 🙁 So- after not eating lunch and flying to the next stop we stocked up at the grocery store before our 6 hour flight back home. 🙂
We arrived late and the staff was amazing! They cooked our food in a seperate pan and made sure it was gluten free! So thankful! Especially for their care and amazing service!