Growing up in Canada with a Polish Great Grandma, who loved to cook has influenced a lot of my comfort foods. Pierogies and Cabbage rolls were a part of ever holiday dinner. When I made this soup it reminded me of the pierogi eating contests we had as a kid and sitting at a big table with my family. I am working on perfecting my gluten free pierogi dough, so hopefully in the near future I will have a recipe for that. My Grandma is from Icelandic decent so she made delicious foods from there. I am planning on making a gluten free Vinatarta for Christmas this year. Sadly, not many of my family members like prunes but I one of my friends does so I will share the cake with her.
It has been 10 years ago today that my Mom passed away. I was wanting some comfort food but didn’t want to blow the clean eating trend I have going. My Mom was as great cook. She was an inspiration in the kitchen and many other areas of my life. I miss her and wish I would have gotten more time to spend with her.
I am trying to eat Paleo/Keto to get ready for the holidays so I am not sad that my pants don’t fit. LOL. I recently had to go off of my thyroid medicine after finding out that it had gluten in it. I had been taking it a long time. So, I have been dealing with the sluggish everything so decided to make food my medicine and cut out all food that was not helping my thyroid. 🙂 So, I decided to make a cabbage roll soup using cauliflower rice instead of white rice to save the carb count. 🙂 Everyone in my family loved it! It will definitely be a new staple in the recipe rotation for the winter. I used my multi cooker to make it one pan and easy. You can cook the meat on the stove if you do not have a multi cooker.
I hope this soup brings you warmth and is comforting. I am enjoying eating it remembering all of the fun memories of holidays or times in the kitchen with my Mom as well as my Grandmas.
Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 whole yellow onion chopped
- 1 head green cabbage chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning I used Flavor God
- 1 Pkg Cauliflower Rice I found this one at Costco- it is organic:)
- 2 Lbs Ground beef I used Wellness Meats
- 1 Large Can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 boxes Beef stock or Bone broth
- In your multi cooker or pan add the ground beef and cook. Add garlic powder and italian seasoning. Use S & P as needed.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add cabbage, cook until tender.
- Add the can of tomatoes and cauliflower rice. Mix together and simmer a few minutes.
- Pour beef broth or bone broth over the mixture.
- Stir until combined.
- Simmer on the low crockpot setting for 4-6 hours. Enjoy!!