Paella is traditionally made with rice, seafood, chicken and sausage in a delicious tomato sauce. Saffron sets it apart and is floral. This one pot meal cooks quickly and you can easily adjust the amounts of ingredients to feed 2 – 50 people. You just need a bigger pan!
I love cooking Paella because it fills my house with a delicious aroma and that makes me happy! I use cauliflower rice for this version to keep it low carb and keto, but you can add paella rice if you like. It will take longer to cook and more liquid so prepare to adjust for that!
You can be adventurous with your ingredients. I have seen paella with muscles, squid, octopus etc. I keep this simple with shrimp, chorizo, and chicken because frankly, my family is a little cautious of squid, muscles, and octopus. If I had my choice to eat it on my own, I would probably add some fun stuff! I recently tried grilled octopus and loved it! I expected it to be chewy but it was perfect!
Don’t be afraid to experiment with food and try new things!
- 1 lb Large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 lb ground chorizo
- 2 raw chicken breasts cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
- 1 can roasted tomatoes chopped
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 head Cauliflower Rice You can buy the package already riced:)
- 1 whole lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 box Chicken Stock
- 1 drizzle cooking oil I use avacado
- 2 heads Garlic minced
- 1 whole Onion chopped
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 1 whole red pepper chopped
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- Add chorizo to the pan and cook.
- Once choirzo is cooked, remove from pan. Add chicken in the grease from the chorizo to cook.
- Remove chicken once cooked. Add onion and pepper to the pan and saute until slightly soft. You might have to add a bit more oil to saute the veggies in.
- Add garlic and spices to pan.
- Add riced cauliflower and cook until just slightly tender. You don't want mushy paella.
- Add chicken and chorizo back to the pan.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes and some of the chicken stock. You don't want it to be too runny so you will have to eyeball the amount of stock you add.
- Place shrimp into the liquid and cook with the lid on until the shrimp is pink. You want to arrange the shrimp in a pretty pattern and push it down into the liquid.
- Once the Paella is cooked it is time to sprinkle with parsley and drizzle the juice from the lemon over the top.