Tom Kha Gai is one of our favorite quick to make meals. It is so creamy and tangy, just typing this makes me want to whip up a pot of it! We first had this delicious soup with friends at a Thai restaurant 5 or 6 years ago. We had never really had Thai food because the first time we tried it as a married couple, my husband got food poisoning and swore off Thai food. Fast forward 15 years later and we got invited to dinner and tried it again! I am so thankful we did try it because so many of the options in Thai cooking are gluten-free.
When I make Tom Kha Gai, we usually arm wrestle a little over who gets the leftovers. I also love that you can change the protein you add to the soup based on what you have and or are in the mood for. I always put chicken breast in the soup and that is how I have had it at restaurants too. This time I added pink shrimp. I have also added scallops or crab meat. If you add scallops, be sure not to overcook them as they get rubbery.
Tom Kha Gai means Chicken Galangal soup according to Wikipedia. In Thailand, most tom kha gai recipes typically include coconut milk, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, Thai chili peppers, coriander (or dill weed), straw mushrooms (or shiitake or other mushrooms), chicken, fish sauce, and lime juice.
Here are a few items that may help you make this delicious soup!
[amazon_link asins=’B011LVDECM,B005J8DT0Q,B000N501BK,B01CEBRM1W,B000S60EFW’ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’goodgracglutf-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’129eef61-9aa4-11e8-8247-2300acf4f8f0′]
I hope you love this soup as much as we do. You can adjust the spice by adding or subtracting the chili paste or by adding in fresh chopped Thai Chilies. I usually make ours to a 2/5 heat level. But we don’t love super spicy food so feel free to spice things up a bit!
Tom Kha Gai
- 1 can Full fat coconut milk
- 1 box Organic Chicken Stock
- 2 Chicken Breasts Shredded If you are in a hurry you can use rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups pink shrimp if you want to use shrimp
- 1 stalk Lemongrass cut in half to release the flavor.
- 1 nub Ginger peeled and chopped to small pieces
- 1 pkg White mushrooms chopped
- 1 pkg Cremini mushrooms chopped
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 handfull basil leaves chopped
- 1 handfull Cilantro chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- In a large pot, add avocado or olive oil and saute the chicken. Cook until it's reached a safe temperature and remove from pan. Shread.
- Add coconut milk, chicken stock, ginger, fish sauce, lime juice and lemon grass. Simmer.
- Add chicken to the liquid and continue to simmer. Add mushrooms. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Then skip to herbs if you aren't adding shrimp or add shrimp and continue cooking.
- If you are adding shrimp add about 7 minutes before serving so they don't get over cooked.
- Add cilantro, basil and green onions right before serving.
- Garnish with more cilantro, basil and green onions if you like.