Every time I make these Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs, I think of my Mom and my Auntie Colette. My Mom used to make these delicious spare ribs in the oven and they were one of my favorite meals growing up. My Auntie Colette made her recipe of these once when we were over and served them with mashed potatoes and I still think about how yummy they were.
I probably had this meal at my Aunt’s house 25 years ago! You know it’s yummy when you still want it after 25 years. It is one of my top 10 comfort food meals. I like to serve it with green beans for color and because I think they are delicious. You can add any side dish you like to this fall off the bone meat and it will be perfect!
I love making them in the pressure cooker or slow cooker because it takes the rush out of dinner time. The sauce is sweet and tangy and goes perfectly with the meat. You can serve them with rice, mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, sweet potatoes, creamy polenta or your favorite mashed vegetable.
I asked two of my friends what their favorite meal I have made them and they both said this one! I made it with mashed potatoes for one friend and cheesy polenta for the other. Both are equally yummy! Cheesy mashed cauliflower would also be wonderful with this.
Here are some items that I used when making this recipe:
[amazon_link asins=’B00FLYWNYQ,B01NBKTPTS,B07GB8C52S,B00VQO4YJC,B01M9DMIDU,B019QR8MQQ,B000VHJR42,B01N33WO1X,B01GGWB6RG’ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’goodgracglutf-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’e987aad5-d0cf-11e8-8ed6-75cb8265a6fe’]
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs
- 6 pieces Spare Ribs
- 1/2 Cup Tapioca Starch
- 2 TBSP water
- 1 Cup Pineapple Juice
- 1/3 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 3 TBSP Tomato Paste
- 3 TBSP coconut aminos
- 1 Can Pineapple chunks
- 1 Yellow onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Dredge Spare ribs in Tapioca starch and salt and pepper.
- Add oil to the bottom of your Instant Pot and turn on to saute mode.
- Once oil is hot sear each side of the spare ribs.
- Remove ribs from pot and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the pot and saute until they are softened.
- Place meat back in pot.
- In a bowl mix pineapple juice, sugar, rice vinegar, tomato paste, and coconut aminos together.
- Pour over meat. Simmer for a few minutes.
- In a seperate bowl, mix 1 TBSP of the tapioca starch with 2 TBSP of water. Whisk to combine. Pour mixture into pot and stir. This will thicken your sauce.
- Shut the Instant Pot off and put the lid on. Cook on the meat option for 50 minutes. This will make super tender falling off the bone ribs. Remember to carefully remove the pressure from your Instant Pot after it's finished cooking.