This healthy harvest salad is the perfect main dish or side dish. To make it a main dish just add your favorite protein. I like to pair it with either roasted chicken, baked salmon or a yummy steak.
This harvest salad contains a lot of my favorite in season fall veggies. I try to eat different fruit and veggies based on when they are in season, or grown and harvested during that time of the year.
I love to roast veggies in the oven and then put them together in a salad with a really yummy dressing. There is just something about roasted veggies! The crispy brussel sprouts are probably my favorite!
Why I eat what is in
I eat what is in season for a variety of reasons. I like to shop for organic produce and local if it’s available. So- when I use fruit and veggies that are grown and harvested at that time of the year they are available and easy to find. They taste better and have more nutrients because they haven’t been stored for a long time.
Here’s an article by Mind Body Green that lists 10 reasons you should eat in season.
Try a new Seasonal Veggie or Fruit
Have you tried anything new lately? Growning up I did NOT like brussel sprouts, parsnips or turnips. I still don’t like turnips, but I did retry them a few years back, just to check. However, I love brussel sprouts and parsnips now! My point is that your taste changes. Just like one season you love leopard print and the next you love floral print. Things change, so try something new or again.
Try cooking veggies in a different way! Maybe your Mom made mushy peas so you never liked them. BUT maybe you would really like peas sauteed with mushrooms and onions! Don’t be afraid to eat the rainbow and try new ways of preparing food.
Here are a few items from AMAZON that you might like to help you make the most delicious roasted veggies for this salad! If you order through my link I will get a small commission but it doesn’t affect the cost of the item to you! It does help me to continue to put up awesome content on here and I appreciate it! 🙂
Nordic Ware Baking Sheets: I love these!
Salad Spinner: Perfect for washing and drying your greens so they aren’t water logged!
Pin This Now So You Can Make it Later!
Watch The Video on How to Make This Healthy Harvest Salad!
Here’s the Recipe!
Healthy Harvest Salad
- 1 bunch radish washed and halved
- 2 delicata squash washed, cut in half, seeds removed and sliced
- 2 parsnips peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1/2 butternut squash peeled, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 bunch brussel sprouts washed and halved
- 1 pomegranate seeded
- 1 pear apple chopped
- 1/2 cup Pecans chopped
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- avocado oil
- 1 head red leaf lettuce washed and dried
- 1/2 pkg bacon cooked and chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- Wash and chop the radish, squashes, carrots, Brussel sprouts and parsnips.
- Place on a baking sheet with a drizzle of avocado oil. Bake at 400 degrees until roasted but not burnt.
- Wash lettuce and spin it dry in a salad spinner if you have one. Tear into bite-sized pieces and put on a serving plate.
- Put the roasted veggies on top of the lettuce.
- Chop up the pear apple (you can use an apple or pear if you want). Put on the salad.
- Put the seeds from a pomegranate and red onion on the salad.
- Toast the pecans in a pan. They will only take a few minutes to toast so be careful not to burn them 🙂 Put them on the salad.
- Break the goat cheese into pieces and put it on the salad.
- Add cooked chopped bacon to the salad.
- Add S & P if desired
- Make a quick vinaigrette out of avocado oil, balsamic vinegar, and seasonings. I usually do 1/2 cup oil to 1/4 cup vinegar, but you can add more to your taste.
- Pour dressing over the salad and enjoy! If you want to save the salad for another day only put the dressing on the salad on your plate not on the whole thing so it doesn’t get soggy!
I hope you love this healthy harvest salad as much as we do!