This Cheesy Polenta with crispy onions will make you say YUM! It is creamy and delicious! Definitely a comfort food! You can make it thick and serve it cut into squares or make it thin as I did and add cheese and serve it with a delicious braised meat over the top.
Polenta is ground corn into a meal. You make it by boiling it in water with salt. There is quite a bit of stirring involved but I promise it will be worth every bit of the arm workout!
What do you need to make this recipe?
You will need some polenta or corn meal. I used Arrowhead Mills and will link it under the Amazon shopping space below. You will also need some water, salt, butter and cheese 🙂 As well as a yellow onion chopped up and fried in a skillet with some butter and oil. That’s it! Easy Peasy! About 40 minutes later and Voila cheesy polenta with crispy onions is ready!
Here are a few items that might make your cheesy polenta easier to make. If you purchase from clicking the link I may get paid a small commission. I appreciate it and it helps me to continue to put content out on my blog so Thank you!
How Do I Make This Recipe?
Here’s the step by step on how to make this Cheesy Polenta.
First, add the 5 cups of water to the pot and turn on the heat to medium-high. Pour in 1 Cup of cornmeal. Whisk. Add a pinch of salt. Whisk.
Bring to a boil while whisking every 5-10 minutes so it doesn’t burn to the bottom of your pot. Put the lid on so you don’t have a big mess or get burnt from the popping cornmeal.
Once it has thickened and cooked for about 35 minutes taste it to make sure it is cooked. Whisk.
In a pan start to cook your onions. Chop one yellow onion and add it to the pan with a TBSP of butter and a drizzle of olive oil so the butter doesn’t burn. Saute until crispy.
Back to the Polenta: Add 1/3 Cup of butter. Whisk.
Add 1 Cup of shredded cheese of your preference. I used Dubliner because that is what I had in my fridge. Whisk.
Add S & P and you guessed it whisk.
Pour into your serving bowl and top with crispy onions.
What Should I Serve This With?
I made my Braised Beef Ribs recipe and served it with this polenta and a delicious salad. I wanted to make the slow cook version in my dutch oven so our guests could see that version.
Here are some other ideas:
Here’s The Full Recipe:
Cheesy Polenta with Crispy Onions
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup Cheese- I used Dubliner shredded
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 drizzle EVOO or Avacado oil
- 1 pinch S & P
- Add the water to the pot and turn to medium-high heat.
- Pour the cornmeal into the water and whisk.
- Bring to a boil stirring every 5 – 10 minutes. Put the lid on as it goes so you don’t get popped with the cornmeal.
- In a pan, saute the yellow onion with 1 TBSP butter and drizzle of oil. Cook until crispy. Set aside.
- Once the cornmeal is thick and cooked (about 35 min) Add butter and shredded cheese. Whisk.
- Add S & P and whisk again.
- Pour into your serving dish and sprinkle the crispy onions over the top.
- Enjoy! If you wanted to make the thicker loaf like polenta, add about 31/2 cups of water in the beginning 🙂
Hope you enjoy this Cheesy Polenta with crispy onions as much as we do!