What is Bobotie?????
Bobotie is a South African meatloaf that is filled with delicious spices and topped with an awesome Fruit Chutney! I linked the recipe to my fruit chutney so it would be easy to find.
We had this dish when we were sailing in Saint Martin with Trade-winds. Manu, our first mate made this delicious dish for lunch one day and I asked her how to make it. So, this is my version of how she made it. Thank you Manu for the exposure to this dish and new food!
Here’s A Video to Show You How to Make Bobotie:
What Kind Of Meat Can I Use In Bobotie?
I have read online that it can be made from beef, pork or lamb or a combination of those meats. I made mine out of beef, but I think we would have loved it with lamb. However, our guests don’t love lamb as much as we do so I made it with beef. 🙂
I absolutely love the smell of lamb cooking and can picture the scent in my head with all of the spices and chutney added! Next time I am making it with lamb for sure!
What Do I Need To Make This Recipe?
You will need a 9 x 13 Pyrex rectangle baking dish to make this Bobotie.
Also some fragrant spices and herbs. Here’s the list:
4 pieces of gluten free bread
3 lbs of ground beef
2 yellow onions
1 TBSP butter
4 cloves of garlic
4 TBSP Curry Paste
1 Cup Chutney
1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes or more if you like it spicy.
4 Bay Leaves
1 TSP of the following: Allspice, Cumin, Paprika, Smoked Paprika, Curry, Tumeric, 21 herb seasoning, Ginger, Cloves, Nutmeg (I used Pumpkin Pie Spice)
1 Cup Cream
This recipe goes together very quickly and is an easy meal. The whole house smells wonderful when it is cooking.
Pin This NOW and Make it LATER!
Here’s The Printable Recipe:
- 4 slices Gluten Free Bread
- 2 Tsp Butter or Oil
- 2 Yellow Onions Chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic Chopped
- 4 TBSP Curry Paste
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes or more if you like it spicy.
- 1 Tsp 21 Herb Seasoning
- 1 Tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice Or you can add each spice seperatly
- 1 Tsp Tumeric
- 1 Tsp Curry
- 1 Tsp All Spice
- 1 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Cup Fruit Chutney You can find the recipe on my site.
- 2 Eggs Whisked topping
- 1 Cup Cream topping
- Add Bread to a 9 x 13 Pyrex rectangle baking dish. Pour 1 cup of water over the top and allow to soak in.
- Fry Onions in the butter until they start to soften.
- Add Garlic to the onions. Continue to cook.
- Add Curry Paste, seasonings and chutney. S & P
- This will start to form a thicker sauce and smell delicious.
- Crumble the bread in the Pyrex dish.
- Add the beef to the bread and mix.
- Pour the Chutney mixture into the meat and combine.
- Press into the pan so it is flat.
- Put the bay leaves on top of the meat.
- Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes.
- Whisk eggs and cream together. Add more Curry and Herbs if you desire. I added a little more and it gave the topping the beautiful color from the Curry Powder. Pour over the meat at the 40-minute mark.
- Allow the egg topping to cook for about another 15 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven. Serve with additional Chutney and a big salad for a great meal!
Here’s The Chutney
I hope you love this Bobotie Recipe!