What is Dalgona Coffee anyway?
Dalgona coffee is a drink that was invented in Korea according to Wikipedia.
It is made by whisking equal parts instant coffee (I used freeze dried), sugar and hot water until it is thick. Then you scoop it on top of your favorite milk or milk alternative.
What started this whipped coffee trend?
Honestly, it appears that people were trying to make coffee shop fancy coffee at home during the Covid stay at home time. People on social media dubbed it the quarantine coffee.
How Do You Make This Dalgona Coffee:
It is really easy to make and you can add your own variations to customize it to your fancy.
You need instant coffee, sugar or sugar alternative, milk or milk alternative, and hot water. A whisk will come in handy too 🙂 I used an electric whisk that came with my emersion blender. And of course, a glass to whip it in.
That’s it! It’s super easy!
First step is to add the coffee, sugar and water to a cup. I found that you get frothy thick coffee faster in a glass that has narrow sides vs a bowl.
Now you get to whip…whip…whip it good!
You can stop whipping when you have reached the desired thickness.
What Would Make This More Delicious?
I am not a huge fan of sugary drinks, so I might not have the same fancy additions as you if you like sugary drinks.
I used organic raw sugar when I filmed the video, however, I have also made it with Monk fruit sweetener, Coconut sugar or Erythritol and it works just fine.
Try adding cinnamon, cacao powder, or dust some Flavor God pumpkin spice over the top.
There are so many options! Use your imagination!
Pin This Now Make It Later
Here are Some Other Recipes You Might Like:
Here’s The RECIPE:
- 2 TBSP Instant Coffee- the higher the quality the better the taste
- 2 TBSP Sweetener- you can use less if you like. I have used raw sugar, monk fruit, and erythritol.
- 2 TBSP Hot Water
- 1 Cup Your favorite milk or milk alternative You can add more or less depending on how you like it.
- 1 Cup Ice If making an iced coffee.
- Heat the water in a microwave or kettle.
- Put the coffee, sugar, and water in a cup.
- Whisk until it is thick.
- Spoon the whipped coffee over the milk and ice if you are making it iced. If you are making it hot heat the milk then spoon the coffee over.
- Add any extra flavors you would like. I like to add cinnamon or cacao powder.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosures here.